Monday, March 07, 2005

Mark who?

Sorry for the lack of posts these last few days/weeks. Things have been fairly busy around here.

On holidays last summer I was reading a newspaper interview with Nevin Maguire, the Irish chef. Afterwards, my wife and I had a bit of fun trying to answer the questions ourselves. It was quite an interesting set of questions, in fact it has become a fairly standard interview, based on two questionnaires the French writer Marcel Proust once filled in. Here's what I came up with:

1. What is your current state of mind?
Relaxed, it's Monday, my day off. And I'm just about to head for bed.

2. What is your favourite way of relaxing?
Reading a good book, cooking, walking with my wife, going to the swimming pool with my daughter, or flying my wife's kite.

3. Who are your favourite writers?
Non-religious books - Robert Ludlum, Terry Pratchett, Fredrick Forsythe, Alexander McCall Smith
Christian writers - John Piper, Jerry Bridges, RC Sproul, The Puritans

4. What was the last book you read?
A biography of Johnny Cash, "A Man Called Cash" by Steve Turner
And the last Christian book was, "Questioning Evangelism" by Randy Newman. (Review to follow at some stage)

5. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Heaven - no sin, no pain, no sadness, just pure happiness in the presence of God.

6. What historical figure do you most identify with?
Peter the apostle - a man who, although deeply flawed, loved to serve his Saviour.

7. Which living person do you most admire?
My mother, who copes uncomplainingly with Multiple Sclerosis.

8. Who is your favourite fictional hero?
Sherlock Holmes (& Winnie the Pooh)

9. Who are your real-life heroes?
Christians who are persecuted for their faith

10. What is your most treasured possession?
My Bible

11. When and where were you happiest?
In Letterkenny Hospital on 19th September 2003 at 6.31pm, when our daughter Eva was born.

12. What is your most obvious characteristic?
Some people would say my handshake, or my long stride.

13. What is your greatest fear?
That people whom I care for will not accept God's offer of forgiveness, and will end up in Hell.

14. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Lying & self-seeking vulgarity. You can hardly watch TV, go to the cinema, read a newspaper, or listen to pop music without there being some form of crudeness, mostly for publicity.

15. What is your greatest extravagance?
A pair of Oakley sunglasses.

16. What is your favourite journey?
Any road with nice scenery and no potholes, for example, travelling over Knockalla towards Port Salon.

17. What do you consider the most over-rated virtue?
Tolerance. We are constantly being told that we must be tolerant of the actions and opinions of others, but there are some things that are wrong and that we must not tolerate.

18. On what occasion would you lie?
I can't think of any situation that justifies lying.

19. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
There are lots of areas where I need to become more like Christ.

20. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Persuading my wife to marry me!

21. Where would you like to live?
Thailand - I love Thai food

22. What is the quality you most admire in a man?
Godliness, manliness and strength of convictions

23. What is the quality you most admire in a woman?
Godliness and selflessness

24. Who has been the greatest influence on you?
Jesus Christ, my Saviour.

25. What is it you most dislike?
Cod liver oil

26. What do you value most in your friends?
Honesty, understanding and a sense of humour

27. How would you like to die?
Looking forward to Heaven

28. If you were to die and come back as a person or an animal, what do you think it would be?
Reincarnation is nonsense, but I am glad that God made me what I am, because only humans were made to know God intimately.

29. What is your motto?
To bring glory to God and enjoy knowing and trusting him.

No comments: