Monday, October 31, 2005

Pensées on Pride - 1-5

Earlier this year I printed out all the verses that contain all the variations of the words proud and humble. I used that for a basis for my morning devotions over the next number of months, taking 6 to eight verses a day.

Over the next few entries I want to share some of my musings. The title "Pensées"is taken from Blaise Pascal who wrote down thoughts that came to him on scraps of paper and these random musings are collected under the title of 'Pensées', French for 'thoughts'.

Exodus 10:3 "So Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and said to him, "This is what the LORD, the God of the Hebrews, says: 'How long will you refuse to humble yourself before me?.'"
  • "How long" - indeed, how long will it be that I refuse to humble myself
  • "will you refuse" - A deliberate act, pride is not accidental.
  • "before me" - What a contrast! Me, proud in the sight of God! The height of arrogance!
Leviticus 26:19 "I will break down your stubborn pride."
  • God will break my pride - He makes it his priority
Deuteronomy 8:2 "Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands."
  • 40 years in the desert - all because of pride. What a deadly enemy I am to myself!
  • "Lord, keep us in the desert until we will not contend for your glory, but let us be more teachable than the Israelites."
Deuteronomy 8:3 "He humbled you… to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD…"
  • "Lord, make us men and women of your word, who do not rely on our own abilities, but who constantly seek you through your word. Give us today our daily bread."
Deuteronomy 8:16 "He gave you manna to eat in the desert, something your fathers had never known, to humble and to test you so that in the end it might go well with you."
  • Manna - Miracle food, but had to be gathered daily.
  • "to test you" - A humbling test - keep on gathering every day, keep on depending on God, you always needed food from God to get through the day.
  • "so that" - learn the lesson of daily dependence on God, and it will go well with you.

No comments: