Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Pensées on Pride - 6-9

1 Samuel 2:3 "Do not keep talking so proudly or let your mouth speak such arrogance, for the LORD is a God who knows, and by him deeds are weighed."
  • "By him deeds are weighed" - How do my deeds measure up in his hands? They must seem like the finest particles of dust.
  • How often I compare myself to others - yet it is not the others, but the Other that I must compare myself to. Then I will have nothing to feel proud of.
  • "The Lord is a God who knows" - He knows ALL about me, how then can I boast. Rather I hang my head in shame.
1 Kings 11:39 I will humble David's descendants because of this, but not for ever.'"
  • When the Lord humbles his people there is a time limit. He only brings his people down in order to raise them up again.
2 Chronicles 25:19 You say to yourself that you have defeated Edom, and now you are arrogant and proud. But stay at home! Why ask for trouble and cause your own downfall and that of Judah also?"

2 Chronicles 26:16 But after Uzziah became powerful, his pride led to his downfall.
  • I say to myself "I have done this or that…". A little God-given success here and there and it starts to go to our heads, and we forget that it is all God-given.
2 Chronicles 34:27 Because your heart was responsive and you humbled yourself before God when you heard what he spoke against this place and its people, and because you humbled yourself before me and tore your robes and wept in my presence, I have heard you, declares the LORD.
  • A promise - if our hearts are responsive, and we humble ourselves, God will hear. Thank you Lord.

No comments: