Friday, January 27, 2006

Pensées on Pride - 19-21

Ezekiel 31:10 "Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: Because it towered on high, lifting its top above the thick foliage, and because it was proud of its height"

Ezekiel 31:14 Therefore no other trees by the waters are ever to tower proudly on high, lifting their tops above the thick foliage. No other trees so well-watered are ever to reach such a height; they are all destined for death, for the earth below, among mortal men, with those who go down to the pit.

Ezekiel 32:12 I will cause your hordes to fall by the swords of mighty men--the most ruthless of all nations. They will shatter the pride of Egypt, and all her hordes will be overthrown.

Ezekiel 33:28 I will make the land a desolate waste, and her proud strength will come to an end, and the mountains of Israel will become desolate so that no-one will cross them.

Daniel 4:37 Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble.

Daniel 5:19 Because of the high position he gave him, all the peoples and nations and men of every language dreaded and feared him. Those the king wanted to put to death, he put to death; those he wanted to spare, he spared; those he wanted to promote, he promoted; and those he wanted to humble, he humbled. 20 But when his heart became arrogant and hardened with pride, he was deposed from his royal throne and stripped of his glory…. 22 "But you his son, O Belshazzar, have not humbled yourself, though you knew all this."
  • God humbles every proud man. Not one escapes.
  • Pride is utterly abominable to God.
  • And the No 1 sin in man.
Daniel 10:12 Then he continued, "Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them.
  • Do we want God to come closer?
  • We need to humble ourselves before him.
2 Corinthians 7:4 I have great confidence in you; I take great pride in you. I am greatly encouraged; in all our troubles my joy knows no bounds.
  • There is a right pride to take in others.
  • Paul takes pride in the Corinthians believers. Stunning, given their faults.
  • Or is it only stunning because I rarley think of taking pride in others?
  • Do I take pride in other believers I know no matter what their faults?
  • Or am I more concerned about me? And whether or not I am regarded well?
  • Here is a key test as to whether my world revolves around me or not.

No comments: